Welcome to our podunk partisan political scene

You can’t make this stuff up! First, this politically vocal local goes out of his way to cut and paste the link from an article in The Union — titled “Nevada County court docs: Supervisor Heidi Hall had .22 BAC” — on Todd Juvinall’s blog. And he uses a judgmental word, writing “dayum.” Then he chides others for “bias” in not printing it. Then he states “I am not judging her.”

Well OK then!

“Barry Pruett —August 28, 2017 at 9:16 PM
Dayum.

“Barry Pruett — August 29, 2017 at 7:30 AM
Bias isn’t always found in what is printed but often times in what is not printed. Imagine the outrage from the FUE if I was arrested three times over the limit.

“Barry Pruett — August 29, 2017 at 7:59 AM
To be sure, I am not judging her at all. Being an elected official you’d probably have better judgment but it happens. I am just pointing out blatant bias. Imagine if this incident involved a Republican supervisor?! Hell hath no fury…lol”

But wait, ,there’s more!

“Todd Juvinall — August 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM
I try not judge. What is the old saying? “There but for the grace of GOD go I”?

ROFLOL

Author: jeffpelline

28 thoughts on “Welcome to our podunk partisan political scene”

1. Pruett lost his race for clerk-recorder in EVERY precinct, and he worries about others’ “popularity.” You go Barry!

2. “I have learned one thing. I will never vote for a Democrat, because that is the only way this American can fight back.”
    That is pathetic!

3. This is also pathetic. R.L. Crabb posts this comment from this blog on his Facebook page, and Pruett crows that I’m getting “lit up” from “the locals.” “”When R.L. Crabb purports to speak for our towns -using the proverbial “we”- does he know that most people don’t read The Union and have never heard of him? Small towns are a hoot!” -Jeff Pelline.”
    Sure, “lit up” from R.L. Crabb, Fink, Michael Kesti, Dixie Redfearn, a contingent from The Union (Crabb, Andy Burton, a former editorial board member; Mary Ann Hughes Davis, and Valerie Costa); Mike Drummond; and Bonnie McGuire.

BTW, I wonder if Don Rogers condones The Union staff trolling Facebook during work hours. Or the Rood Center and ERC, which gives $$$ to The Union to manage the tourism website. Go figure!

1. Or I wonder if this “merry band of pranksters” read this comment: “I do follow their FB page but the paper is a waste of time for me.”

1. I once asked my friend and former colleague at The Chronicle, Mark, who won a Pulitzer Prize for cartooning, if he ever heard of R.L. Crabb. “No.”

4. When a former publisher of The Union wanted to cut back R.L. Crabb’s column to cut costs, I defended it and took him to lunch. When the former CFO of The Union said she “couldn’t understand” his cartoon, I also defended it. We all have different experiences with Crabb.

5. This one states it all about R.L. Crabb’s Facebook friends:
    “Nancy Smart Jeff the fuck who??m”
    And her name is supposedly “Nancy Smart.” You go Nancy! ROFLOL.

6. I have seen Heidi Hall at several events where alcohol was served and I have never seen her drink to excess or become sloppy.
    Given that she is a lady in the true sense of the word, this mistake was certainly an anomaly and I believe her when she says it won’t happen again.
    I worried for Heidi when she took office because the GOB male BOS’s seem like they don’t want her on the Board.
    It can be seen in their demeanor towards her and in their body language during the televised BOS meetings on TV.
    They tend to huddle and turn their backs to her when they are discussing an issue as if she’s not there, especially Mr. Miller.
    She was elected fair and square so perhaps they should take her more seriously.
    I supported Heidi’s run for office because she is an honest and capable leader and I would do it again.
    There are those blowing up local blogs and news cycles and trying to make hay out of this for all they think it is worth.
    But in time, Heidi’s mistake will go the way of other local celebs who have either had DUI’s, domestic disturbances or been arrested for impersonating a U.S. citizen.
    This is a forgiving little county if people like you, and people like and trust Heidi.

7. Heidi Hall is a graduate of Pomona College, which Forbes just ranked as a top 10 college.
    She is smart. Of all the supervisors, she asked the most pointed questions about the Economic Resource Council’s results in economic development.

The hateful remarks on Todd Juvinall’s blog this week about her DUI that went unmoderated —
    sometime from “trolls” — show a double standard. And sexism.

You’re right; our local “celebrities” often have their foibles. One example I can think of: http://www.rlcrabb.com/history-2/just-say-no/

Have a great week! I’m looking forward to seeing “Mt. Vernon” all spruced up.

1. Jeff,

You will have to come up with a new name.
      The remodeled house will be soft yellow with a pastel blue door.
      The “golf course” will be swapped out for water-wise landscaping and xeriscaping, with gardens and trails.
      Probably new fencing too, because there are folks who like to use he property as a dog park and they need to understand it’s a private home.

1. Fine. “Robin’s Nest.”

“… there are folks who like to use he property as a dog park and they need to understand it’s a private home.” Ha! Podunk.

1. One Hallmark of this community I have noticed over the years is a peculiar disdain for college education.
      Why is that?

1. It’s because this community has been very conservative for many decades and therefore follows the pattern found in the deep south and now the rust belt. The disdain is part of the long range plan to divide the country and discredit those who use science and reason rather than ideology to make decisions. The hard core corporate capitalists who make their money pillaging the countryside do not want to hear about climate change, pollution, wealth inequality, environmental justice, etc. and people with educations research these things, more often than not, out of a sense of obligation to humanity rather than profit. Those same corporatists don’t want an electorate who uses reason either. So, you dumb down the populace by dissing on education and teachers for decades. Call facts you disagree with fake while generating fake facts of your own and when your targeted segment of the population can’t tell the difference they will buy into whatever you tell them, no matter how outlandish. Finally, wave your magic sickle, say abracadabra four times and you get donald trump as president and the decades of environmental, health, civil rights, and other forms of social progress gained via legislation gets tossed out the window in less than a year. If people thought the financial ruin of the Bush II round of de-regulation was bad, just wait until this round comes home to roost.

8. I don’t comment on Mr. J’s blog because I am certain I would be unwelcome.
    But he reads and comment on your blog so I will ask him here.
    Mr. Juvinall, how is a college education a bad thing?

9. Judith, “fish” is throwing rocks again on Todd’s blog:

“fishAugust 30, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    …and of course

“Judith Lowry says:
    August 30, 2017 at 2:24 pm
    One Hallmark of this community I have noticed over the years is a peculiar disdain for college education.Why is that?”

Oh I imagine having to listen endlessly to self satisfied idiots prattle on …”

You’re not a “self satisfied idiot.” You’re a well-regarded Native American artist, whose work has appeared in numerous museums including the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian, the George Gustav Heye Center, the Crocker Museum, and the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of the American Indian. Go figure! lol

10. I know it’s been a rough year or two for Barry Pruett, but he is truly delusional. He claims that comments on R.L. Crabb’s blog (from his friends) is somehow a barometer of the community as a whole! No, Barry, a barometer of popularity is running for clerk-recorder, as you did. And you lost in EVERY precinct. Ouch.

1. Pass performance a predictor. Think regular folks be safe. Please run for something again? Clerk-recorder? Ever notice how far right hates GOVERNMENT but keen to hold Government job. Hmmm. Riiiiigh. Please Barry, run again. Please.