Advertisers flee after O’Reilly sex harassment furor

“‘The O’Reilly Factor’ is facing a growing advertiser revolt, as three major automakers and five other companies have pulled their commercials from the show amid a scandal involving the host, Bill O’Reilly,” as CNN and other media are reporting.

“Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, BMW of North America, Constant Contact, Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, UNTUCKit, Allstate and Sanofi are pulling ads from ‘The O’Reilly Factor’ after a report about five settlements with women who alleged sexual harassment or verbal abuse by O’Reilly.

“The decisions signal the potential of financial damage for ‘The O’Reilly Factor,’ the most popular show on cable news, and its network, Fox News.

“Hyundai said early Tuesday that it is not currently advertising on ‘The O’Reilly Factor’ but will remove upcoming ads because of the “recent and disturbing allegations.”

“‘We will continue to monitor and evaluate the situation as we plan future advertising decisions,’ the company said.

“Mercedes-Benz used similar language on Monday when it pulled its own ads.

‘The allegations are disturbing and, given the importance of women in every aspect of our business, we don’t feel this is a good environment in which to advertise our products right now,’ spokeswoman Donna Boland told CNNMoney.

“BMW of North America announced Tuesday that it was also suspending its ads on ‘The O’Reilly Factor.’

“The New York Times reported on Sunday that settlements totaling $13 million had been reached with five women who accused O’Reilly of inappropriate behavior.”

The rest of the article is here.

Author: jeffpelline

Jeff Pelline is a veteran editor and award-winning journalist - in print and online. He is publisher of Sierra FoodWineArt magazine and its website SierraCulture.com. Jeff covered business and technology for The San Francisco Chronicle for years, was a founding editor and Editor of CNET News, and was Editor of The Union, a 145-year-old newspaper in Grass Valley. Jeff has a bachelor's degree from UC Berkeley and a master's from Northwestern University. His hobbies include sailing and trout fishing.

7 thoughts on “Advertisers flee after O’Reilly sex harassment furor”

  1. The real scandal is that this is all “old news” and has been out there and ignored and dismissed by Bill O’Reilly for years. A team of reporters from the NY Times did a great job researching and aggregating stories and court documents covering not only O’Reilly but former Fox News head Roger Ailes and their culture of abusive behavior to women. Old school investigative reporting works…

  2. So big Bill is getting the Rush treatment. Rush has also become toxic to corporate America – the advertisers pulled out and the ratings tanked, but he remains on the air because the corporate owners of his many stations support his ideology. So – whats the difference between I-Heart Radio and Pravda in the old Soviet Union. Same goes to Fox. Don’t expect big Bill to go down unless he runs into legal trouble.

    1. In the midst of all this Fox gave him, and he signed, a new contract. I’d call it cognitive dissonance but in reality, it’s pervasive in the whole Fox organism. A disease which daily reflects itself in how it functions as a news source. And The Union is like a microcosm of that mindset, hopefully minus the sexual harassment aspect.

  3. The “Catheter Cowboy,” John Oliver’s straight-talking cowpoke, was back in the saddle again on Sunday. In a “Last Week Tonight”-produced PSA intended to air during “The O’Reilly Factor,” the cowboy lays down the law on sexual harassment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s