The Elections Office emailed the latest election results, and Measure B — the local school bond measure for needed improvements — prevailed.

The totals show 25,563 “yes” votes (55.95 percent) and 20,125 “no” votes (44.05 percent). A 55 percent threshold was required.

We were proud to support the measure, with a big sign in our yard, no less. It was common sense and the right think to do to invest in our future.

Local curmudgeons, led by the likes of tea party and State of Jefferson activist Wade Freedle and The Union’s paid columnist George Boardman, opposed the measure, and it was duly noted that they lost.

As if Boardman’s screed wasn’t enough, The Union wrote an asinine editorial about Measure B that the majority of voters also rejected. In short, the schools provided enough evidence to convince the majority. The newspaper showed an abject lack of community leadership on this issue, coddling its aging, declining demographic.

But the rest of us “took back” our community instead. lol.

In another nail biter in Truckee,  for director of the Truckee Donner Public Utility District, the former publisher of The Union, Jim Hemig, finished dead last among the four candidates, according to the latest results. Jim left The Union to go to work for his dad’s real estate business.

Hemig had 2,798 votes (21.41 percent), compared with 2,843 (21.75 percent) for Joseph Aguera, 3,321 (25.41 percent) for Bob Ellis and 4,109 (31.44 percent) for Jeff Bender.

Congressman Tom McClintock also got shellacked in Truckee against candidate Robert Derlet, though he won re-election in the district.

The results are here.

14 Responses to Measure B for our schools prevails — we “took back” our community from the curmudgeons

BTW, here’s an email I received from the Elections Office since: “Yes, these are our final results. Our turnout for this election is 82.48%.”

Morons like “fish” find it insignificant that 82.48 percent of Truckee’s voters rejected McClintock as their Congressman — a real embarrassment. I suspect the residents of Carmichael feel the same about “fish,” so he fled up here to finger paint in the local blogosphere. What else would explain it? Meanwhile, Dr. Phil read this diatribe from “fish,” and hopes to speak with him soon: http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2011/tle603-20110116-02.html Can you spell “psycho”?

3. Louise McFadden says:

Thank you to the 25,000+ citizens of Nevada County!

And thanks to you Louise! I’m embarrassed for some of our residents who loudly opposed this and spread misinformation about it.

Is Todd Juvinall being racist?
    “Fish, here are the numbers.
    District Wide McClintock 62.^5, 214,870, Derlet, 37.4%, 128,123.
    Nevada County, McClintock, 35.1%, 2,,567, Delbert, 64.9%, 4,743.

“So yes Tom got whipped but he whipped the dems ass bad in the district. What is interesting to me about these numbers are it appears we are seeing where the democrats overtook the R’s in the County. Truckee! And guess where all the illegals live? Posted by: Todd Juvinall | 02 December 2016 at 02:00 PM”

Bad day for George “the oracle of Burger Basin” Boardman too. lol.

No word from Barry Pruett on McClintock’s drubbing in Truckee. Tom once “endorsed” him for Clerk Recorder. And he lost in every precinct! Ouch.

Here’s a real window into local politics, or at least Pruett:

“Barry PruettDecember 2, 2016 at 4:34 PM
      Honestly dude. I didn’t even know someone was running against McClintock until today. Not my district and way to (sic) busy running business and raising kids and living like a normal person.”

Yet here’s the press release Pruett submitted to The Union in June 2010, glowing about Tom and the endorsement he received for Clerk-Recorder:

“Fourth Congressional District Congressman Tom McClintock has endorsed Barry Pruett for Nevada County Clerk-Recorder. http://www.theunion.com/news/mcclintock-endorses-pruett-for-clerk-recorder/

“Barry Pruett will provide a breath of fresh air to the Nevada County Clerk Recorder’s office and will restore openness, trust and accountability to the county clerk’s office. Barry Pruett is the one I trust to be Nevada County’s next Clerk Recorder,” McClintock said.

Pruett stated that he is proud to have Mr. McClintock’s endorsement. “Tom McClintock has a strong record of common-sense approaches to bureaucratic reform. I am committed to bringing the same type common-sense reform to the Clerk-Recorder’s office by being serious about the growing problem of voter fraud.”

What a difference a few years makes! “Pals forever.” lol.

6. Chris Bishop says:

And yet there were 20,000 ‘no’ votes. Pathetic. And my son gets questioned when he asks “why are the oldies always trying to bring us down?”

With that being said, forget my son. I’ll own the question. Why are the oldies always trying to bring us down? (hold on, I have to respond to my AARP notice…..I think I have a discount of some type).

• Louise McFadden says:

Chris: When it comes to Nevada County, I am reminded of the words of Dylan: ” The times, they are a changin’ “. Little by little, this area that we love will grow and even encourage ideas that attract youth and vitality.
      Have faith. Celebrate this win for the kids in our public high schools.

And…get that AARP card! 😀

• Louise McFadden says:

When it comes to Nevada County, as Dylan sang, ” The times, they are a changin’ “.

Our Yes on Measure B crew is so happy. What a difference this will make for the high school students in Nevada County!

Thanks again Louise! You stood up to the bullying, misinformation and outright lies on this issue. It is “God’s work” but you prevailed. Glad we could help out.

• Chris Bishop says:

Thanks Louise,
        You always bring me up! And I did get my AARP card! I wasn’t joking. Signed up Jodanna as well.

• stevefrisch says:

Funny I am reminded of “Idiot Wind”

Thanks to Louise Johnson, superintendent of the high school district, for sending me a gracious note of thanks for supporting Measure B. I responded, thanking Louise for all she and the administration, staff and teachers are doing for our schools!