How NU High students set example for our community

I picked up this week’s “snail mail,” and it included a thank you note from the AP Government students and teacher Molly Starr at Nevada Union High for our discussion the other day about media and politics. The card featured local artist Karel Hendee’s artistry. All this, in the age of text messaging and mass-produced greeting cards.

I wish the curmudgeons/ideologues who are ranting against Measure B would take the time to tour the school campuses, get to know some of the students and teachers, and educate themselves about the need for repairs and upgrades to help prepare them for college and 21st-century careers. These youths are our future, and we ought do to our part to help them succeed. We’ll be lucky if some of them decide to “come home” after their education. As one Measure B proponent said this week, “Our schools are an investment, not an expense.”

img_7062

img_7063

16 Responses to How NU High students set example for our community

1. Louise McFadden says:

Thank you for your multileveled support of Measure B. Your words are being widely shared on line. I hope the citizens of Nevada County see the around the mounds of misinformation some have generated. Our schools and our youth are vital to keeping a growing, vibrant community. Why settle for less? Yes on Measure B!

Louise,
    Thanks for all you do! Our schools are an investment in our community’s future, not an expense. We just dropped off our son at Ghidotti Early College High School at 6:45 a.m., where the busses are taking the freshman students to UC Davis for a campus tour, including the engineering lab. How lucky/educational is that?

3. Judith Lowry says:

The U.S. doesn’t even place in the top ten.
    Sad.

4. Annie Fox says:

What a nice gesture. Our students deserve the best and I appreciate the efforts to make that happen. It’s very refreshing to see there are those in our community who actually care about the students.

5. Judith Lowry says:

BTW, slightly off topic, but it is about how we as a community care for our kids.
    Just wondering how are the students at Earl Jamieson doing.
    I can’t find anything online or in the Union but I remember the hearings at city hall and it was pretty disappointing to see the very emotional opposition to the school going into the Hwy 49 building.
    I had thought the Searles might take on some students who may have wanted to learn about Nevada County History and perhaps even library/museum skills.
    But, the Searles was strongly against the placement of the continuation school across the street from the library.
    Anybody know how the E students are faring?

• James Ketcham says:

“The Searls was strongly against the placement of the continuation school across the street from the library” That is not true at all Judith. The Historical Society took no position on it. We currently have an agreement to allow them to park at the history center, so not sure where you get off saying that.

James,
        “get off saying that”? There might be a better way to phrase that, don’t you think? Thanks in advance for next time. Cheers,

• Judith Lowry says:

James,

I watched it happen on NCTV’s broadcast of the City Hall meeting.
        Please, check the archives online.

• James Ketcham says:

I don’t need to review any videos. I attended the meeting and spoke. I cant’t remember what I said verbatim, but more or less along the line of “We support our neighbors and the concerns they are voicing”

6. James Ketcham says:

My apologies Jeff. The historical society works extremely hard not only to “celebrate & preserve” local history, but to be a good neighbor and I don’t appreciate seeing baseless comments like this.

7. Judith Lowry says:

Dan,

I don’t make baseless claims.
    Just to be clear, this was the Planning Commission meeting I spoke of.
    Someone representing the Searles spoke against EJ students at this meeting.
    There’s a date,z so you can review the taped meeting online.
    Those kids read the things the people at the meeting said about them and it didn’t make them feel good about the way the community sees them.

8. Judith Lowry says:

James, the impression you left was ambiguous at best, but you mostly spoke of supporting the “neighbors” who had “concerns”.
    A review of the entire meeting is depressing and you very much seemed to favor the people who fear the EJ kids as a threat.
    So, if you would, please be clear about how you view Earl Jamieson students so close to the Searles and how you would help them if you could.
    Thanks.

• James Ketcham says:

What is wrong with making sure the neighbors concern’s are addressed? I guess I am confused. I would just hope in the future you could reach out before you make those comments. Thank you.

9. Judith A Lowry says:

You are probably right about the reaching out part.
    All the same, the whole televised spectacle was disappointing and embarrassing, so that was off-putting to me.
    I had some idea that you folks would be offering educational opportunity to kids who, for whatever reason, are falling out of their regular school studies.
    How great would it be to give some of these youngsters the opportunity to receive the gift of deep historical knowledge of the lands in which they live, the proper way to care for it, and the importance of preservation.
    They could be inspired to go on into higher education and perhaps some kind of archive work for the libraries, museums or universities.
    It could start with an extracurricular program at the Searles.
    With all due respect, I am not sure how that message would have been received had I reached out to you.
    But, I do wish the Searles well, it was a spectacular acquisition.
    The library is the perfect use for the old Armory which has never looked better.
    We can also breathe a sigh of relief for your archives, as the old location was clearly inadequate and a cause for concern about their safety.
    Sometimes I dream about a roundhouse and cultural center across the street from the Searles for the Nisenan, with whom I work.
    With the newly improved railroad Museum a stone’s throw away, Seven Hills could have a comprehensive museum complex, similar to the Santa Fe model only mother CA lode focused, that could be a real attraction for Nevada City.
    Cheers and have a nice Sunday.

10. Such a beautiful card !

I was glad to read this in The Union, albeit some awkward writing:http://www.theunion.com/news/local-news/nevada-union-students-witness-inauguration-womens-march/