“They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but in the era of Google you should at least be a little more careful about doing it on live national TV,” as Mother Jones is reporting.

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 5.23.53 AM

“BY THE WAY: It’s interesting that one of the phrases Melania left out was about treating people with dignity and respect ‘even if you don’t know them.’ How very Trumpish.”

23 Responses to Melania Trump GOP convention speech strikingly similar to Michelle Obama address

1. stevefrisch says:

How interesting. Having written more than a few speeches I know that it’s not uncommon to read, take notes, and draw inspiration from other speeches or written material when drafting. I always keep notes from another speech or article in another font color so I can’t mistakenly use it. I keep an ‘ideas file’ as well, where ideas cribbed from other sources reside; many speech writers do as well, because they collect ‘style’ to form their own style from particular authors.

Even with that little check I once wrote and delivered a speech where I left a quote from Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline in unattributed. I can definitely see how this could happen.

What I can’t imagine is Paul Manafort coming out this morning and saying essentially, “nothing to see here.”

It’s pretty simple, just acknowledge the mistake and move on.

But there is no such thing as an acknowledgement of a mistake from the Trump campaign which is why they are unfit to hold office. A campaign this sloppy, poorly led, and unable to recognize its own weakness is incapable of governing.

• steve cottrell says:

Wilson Mizner –– who, as a teenager in the 1890s, lived for a few months in Grass Valley –– once said, “If you steal from one author it’s plagiarism; if you steal from many it’s research.”

Later, he became a Broadway playwright, Hollywood screenwriter, and co-owned the famous Brown Derby restaurant in Los Angeles.

If only Michelle Obama’s words were used in last night’s speech, then I guess Mizner would have called it plagiarism. But if Melania can prove that she and her speechwriters lifted from others as well, Paul Manafort can then claim that it was merely a product of good research. (He says, tongue firmly planted in cheek).

You’re right, Steve –– Manafort was in total denial this morning. And he brushed the questions aside with a straight face. Amazing.

• John Stoos says:

This will be the first Presidential race in our history where NO mistakes are made by either campaign! 🙂

2. Annie Fox says:

I didn’t expect her to think for herself but I commend her for using a great speech.

3. John Stoos says:

The best entertainment of the evening was watching Brian Williams moderate the discussion of this later on MSNBC. 🙂

John,
    Who are you going to vote for? Trump or Clinton?

5. Tony Waters says:

There you have it, Jeff. John is predicting a Hillary victory!

6. brucelevy says:

And I don’t care if Jeff removes the post, as long as you see it..

7. Judith says:

President Trump.
    We might as well get used to it.
    I listened to the GOP convention this afternoon on my drive home from Susanville.
    I cannot put my finger on it but I think, unless there is one heck of an October surprise, that the people will vote for something different than what we have had for over thirty years.
    Just a hunch.
    And once he’s in the WH the Donald won’t have any better luck getting his agenda past a stubborn congress than our current POTUS.
    But it will all be very entertaining you can be certain.
    It may also be appealing to have someone just as scary as Kim and Putin in the highest office in the land, if only that it may give those two leaders a bit of pause about this American wild card.
    I hope they fear him as much as some Americans now do.
    Now that would be a hoot!

8. Judith A Lowry says:

Bruce,
    Thank you for insulting me.
    That would be Judith of Susanville, not exactly Brianne of Tarth sorry, but I do my best.
    John Snow, you have no idea.
    Nevada City is a sweet little bubble and we love it here, but the rest of the country is not as privileged to live as well as Nevada Countians.
    But heck, let them eat artisan foods.
    I do not live in LaLa land but I have seen it lying around on our streets dealing dope and scaring tourists, so you might try to get around more, could be enlightening.
    This is the winter of Joe Six-Pack’s discontent and you and I and all of us have earned this by our collective sense of entitlement.
    Trump is a mirror.

9. Judith A Lowry says:

Bruce,
    There is a lot of tongue in cheek in my posts but without the benefit of face to face conversation we miss a lot of non-verbal signals, please just relax.
    I also have fun with a form of communication I call, “cinematic shorthand”, it’s actually a very effective way to have conversations with my fellow vegetables who love movies.

You seem to have little sense of humor and you might be worrying too much about Donald Trump.
    Either way the election goes, we won’t have a president I would like to have seen in the White House and a lot of people feel the same way.
    Perpetual political drama permeates our lives and folks are just tired of the reruns.
    Whatever happens nobody can change anything by freaking out at others with whom they might disagree.
    I don’t think Donald Trump is going to do any of the awful things he says he will, because it’s not possible.
    What we might see is a transformational master at work, who by degrees will mold himself to the job.
    I noticed Trump’s hair last night when he took the stage to receive his nomination, for some reason it’s looking better styled, toned down, not so brassy, more presidential.
    What all presidents know and what quickly turns their hair gray, is that the presidency is one of the most humbling experiences on earth.
    It may well beTrump’s time to learn this firsthand.