The Broiler in Ukiah — an iconic rural California steakhouse

the-broiler-steak-houseI listened to a video replay of Tuesday’s Board of Supervisors meeting on marijuana cultivation.

It went as expected on all fronts, including the Don Bessee “show.” But I was glad to hear that Supervisor Dan Miller met with the owner of The Broiler Steakhouse on a “field trip” to Ukiah to explore the MJ scene.

Dan did not mention dining at the restaurant, but it’s been a longtime favorite on our trips to the “Lost Coast.” It’s been family run since the ’60s: great steaks grilled over a oakwood pit, fresh salad, warm sourdough bread, good Manhattans.

It is redolent of the Willo in our neck of the woods, or another favorite casual steakhouse — Jocko’s Steak House in Nipomo, south of San Luis Obisbo. Their steaks are grilled over an open fire with red oak.

A PG&E executive introduced me to Jocko’s when I went there to write about the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant for the Chronicle in the ’80s. My parents introduced us to the Broiler, and later I used to stop there en route to Scotia, where I wrote about the Pacific Lumber Co.’s battle with environmentalists over the Redwoods.

We often think of the expensive “big city” steakhouses such as Harris’ in San Francisco or the Pacific Dining Car in L.A. But the more casual, rural ones — The Broiler, Jocko’s and the Willo — are “old school” California.

9 Responses to The Broiler in Ukiah — an iconic rural California steakhouse

1. jim firth says:

It’s a great place to eat. I used to travel every 3 months to Eureka from the Bay Area for work and would stop there every chance I had.

I knew we could get Jim Firth and Dan Miller on the same page somehow!

Exactly! As I wrote in the current issue of our magazine: “Food and drink, the most basic human commodity, is at the heart of our cultural melding.” http://www.sierraculture.com/foodwineart/?s=adventure#.Vrv1j2jfbzJ

The next think I know you two will be breaking bread at Jocko’s in Nipomo!

• jim firth says:

There are way more surprises coming. Tune in to Main Street Nevada County on NCTV, Channel 11 on Tuesday’s or Friday’s at 4:30pm. Or follow at nevadacountytv.com same days and same time for live feed.

Oh no. What’s next? Tea with Keoni Allen at Claridge’s in London? I’m growing more optimistic.

• Dan Miller says:

Okay you two, enough!! I’m starting to be suspected as being a closet liberal. Actually, glad you both have been to the Broiler Steak House. Joe Fernandez who owns the restaurant, and his wife Valerie, were the ones who had the home invasion and Val was pistol whipped by the intruders who were looking for pot and money. They will retire to Nevada County and have already purchased a home here.