The Union misspells “acorn” on the front page

You can’t make this stuff up!

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 8.04.02 AM

14 Responses to The Union misspells “acorn” on the front page

1. Mary Carol says:

Give ’em a break! In this day of automatic spell check and when computers just fill in words, well stuff like that happens. BTW, acron is a word: noun 1.the unsegmented, preoral portion of the body of an arthropod. (Cambridge Dictionary) Sure someone should’ve caught it, but we’re all human. Including me, of course. I misspelled “guarantee” in a HEADLINE in a small paper like The Union, 30 years ago, before the age of “spell check.” My editor didn’t catch it and I still haven’t forgotten it! lol!

Give ’em a break! Are you kidding? This is a headline on the front page — “above the fold.” Please do not bring your low standards into our household, including our school-aged son.

• Mary Carol says:

It wasn’t a low standard. It was a mistake. I was very distraught about it at the time–it was the main story, all above the fold in bold. However, looking back I have to laugh about it. You need to LEARN TO LAUGH, too! And how the heck did what I wrote affect your “household” or your “school age son”? Isn’t that a bit overly dramatic? I’m sure I wrecked his morals and education… LOL!

In fact it was a low standard — defending the indefensible. And it wasn’t funny either. It was stupid. And unprofessional. It sets a bad example for the community as the supposed “newspaper of record” with paid professionals. Podunk.

• Mary Carol says:

Thanks a lot.. It was more than 30 years ago. I was 22-years-old and it was my first newspaper reporting job. Of course it was “stupid.” I guess I should’ve been crying about it ever since and considered myself worthless. That’s what you would do, right? I’m done with this.

No, but it shouldn’t be a cause to laugh off another stupid mistake, which, by the way, is a pattern in The Union. The community deserves a better newspaper.

3. Chris Bishop says:

I couldn’t find the author.

“Ode to My Spell Checker.”

Eye halve a spelling checker
    It came with my pea sea.
    It plainly marks four my revue miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a quay and type a word and weight for it to say
    Weather eye yam wrong oar write.
    It shows me strait a weigh as soon as a mist ache is maid.
    It nose bee fore two long and eye can put the error rite.
    Its rare lea ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it,
    I am shore your pleased to no.
    Its letter perfect awl the way.
    My checker told me sew.

I tried to misspell “acorn” numerous times to match the erroneous headline in The Union, but the spell checker kept correcting it for me. To spell “acron” like The Union, I had to click on the “check mark” next to word “acorn” and write “acron.”

5. brucelevy says:

I think The Union is just trying to piss off the left. They know they’re worthless as a news source, so as they circle the drain they’re trying to do the most psycological harm to their detractors. At this point they maybe should be ignored completely. The part that makes me sad is there are many good people who work for them yet are lower level drones to the higher level morons who run the joint. It’s not fair to their workers who need their jobs. Just another example of “Swift” BS and disregard for their workers and community.

I do wonder if the management reads the front page before it goes to press in Sacramento.

BTW, a subscriber shared a photo of the “acron” headline in “Peeps,” where it is generating a lot of conversation.

The morons on Todd’s blog defend this as a “typo.” Really? On the front page. Above the fold. I wonder where they were educated? In a barn, I suppose. If at all. Welcome to their world (AKA hillbilly land)!

Poor Todd. He thinks the morons and trolls who comment on his blog represent the residents of our towns. No Todd. “Your people” represent the bottom of the barrel. One of the biggest mouths is from the Sacramento area, not here. No one likes Todd. He won’t run for Supe because he knows he would lose. He’s a pathetic individual — sitting at home having a dialogue with sock puppets.

Todd is so lonely that the only people who comment on his blog are sock puppets. Even the Contractors Association (and Todd is a longtime contractor in our community) won’t comment on his blog. If people aren’t laughing at his face, they are laughing at him behind his back. Loser.com