CFA-Fremont_0077Along with The Union newspaper (sans its newspaper printing presses as of last year), the Burger Basin is known as a haven for fast food.

Now some people are wondering if a Chick-fil-A is going to join the mix.

As reported Friday, Hilbers M&M — a Yuba City developer — is proposing  a 44,400 square foot four-story hotel (79 to 81 rooms) that includes 2,100 square feet of commercial space; a 3,900 square foot drive-through building; and 3,200 square foot commercial building. The project is across the street and up the hill from a Burger King and not far from a McDonald’s and Taco Bell.

In regards to the drive through, a good business source pointed out to me that “the developer Hilbers builds Chick-fil-A’s and he is out of Yuba City.” Sure enough, as Hilbers’ website states: “Hilbers Inc. is developing a long term relationship with this great and growing restaurant chain. Very impressive, as this chain has surpassed the venerable KFC in sales with far fewer restaurants.”

Long-term relationship indeed: Hilbers has built Chick-fil-A’s in Granite Bay — the first in our region — as well as Vacaville, Rancho Cordova, Santa Rosa, Fremont, San Jose, Novato; and Lynwood, Wa., and Tacoma, Wa, according to its website. Another developer is bringing a Chick-fil-A to North Auburn.

Chick-fil-A was the focus of controversy following a series of public comments made in June 2012 by chief operating officer Dan T. Cathy — a self-described evangelical Christian —opposing same-sex marriage.

In a 2012 radio interview, Cathy said: “As it relates to society in general, I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'” as the Times reported.

“The Baptist family that owns Chick-fil-A has for years given millions of dollars to organizations fighting same-sex marriage and supporting heterosexual ones,” the Times article continued.

“Small protests against its position have swelled and receded over the past couple of years, but recently the battle has spilled into the halls of city governments and the presidential campaign. Even the Muppets are involved.”

In 2014 Forbes ran a headline: “Chick-fil-A CEO Cathy: Gay Marriage Still Wrong, But I’ll Shut Up About It And Sell Chicken”

We’ll keep you posted on Hilbers’ plans for the parcels in Grass Valley. A bio on President Kurt Hilbers and the firm is here.

15 Responses to Is Chick-fil-A (a symbol in the gay-rights debate) coming to Grass Valley’s “Burger Basin”?

1. John Stoos says:

I have a gift card for them, so now I will have to come up to your area and use it!

John Stoos,
    There’s a blast from the past. Perhaps you could hang around a little longer and shop in our historic downtowns! Happy New Year.

3. brucelevy says:

I would never patronize Chick-fil-A. They represent much of what is wrong in this country. And if they do open, I will make it one of my aims to inform people about their religious, Baptist BS.

• Chip Wilder says:

All that’s left would be a Hobby Lobby-This monument to homophobia will attract the gun raffle crowd, and they will make it their own. Wherever they gather now, that business should be worried. Bruce- I’ll help pass out flyers-

4. Ben Emery says:

More fast food franchise/ chains, why? It doesn’t seem like Nevada County is lacking places to find inexpensive unhealthy food. The double whammy will be furthering this very short sided economic view of sending the wealth of our county to Chick Fil A home town of Atlanta, GA.

The Multiplier Effect of Local Independent Businesses

• John Stoos says:

But Ben I suspect that all the employees and service people who provide for them will be local folks, so I think you should be thankful for more jobs in this economy.

• Chris Bishop says:

Hi John,
        Long time no speak. I don’t think ‘entry level’ jobs is what this community is lacking. And, I think you know that.

• John Stoos says:

I started out washing dishes at a buck twenty-seven in Chico: How did your work career begin?

• Chris Bishop says:

You’re ducking the point, as usual. Quit posting stupid.

• Chris Bishop says:

John Stoos,
        You are a professional manipulator. You know exactly what is being asked and you know exactly what your responses mean. I hope, some day, you grow a conscience.

• John Stoos says:

Chris I really was not trying to manipulate anything: I thought the discussion was about local versus Atlanta corps… I was only pointing out that a community needs entry level jobs as well as good paying jobs that can support a family. Sorry if that was not clear.

• brucelevy says:

No, Chris is right. That’s exactly what you are. I’m sorry to see you back, and that we have to go through the same religious BS AGAIN.

• John Stoos says:

Bruce, I will try to keep my religion to myself, but discussions get pretty dull if there is no disagreements, don’t you think?

5. PeteK says:

Does this mean a name change will be in order to “Chicken Basin”?