Will Duane Strawser run for District 1 Supevisor?

When Nate Beason decided not to run for District 1 Supervisor, I figured Duane Strawser might run — at least until Cheri West jumped into the race. Duane and Cheri are friends, so I figured they wouldn’t run against each other.

But now that Cheri has dropped out, Duane is pondering this, I have learned.

Duane would be a good candidate: He’s a longtime Nevada City Council member, so he knows the ropes of local government; he’s served on the Nevada City Chamber of Commerce; he’s a local business owner of the Tour of Nevada City Bicycle Shop;  he has collaborated with the local “left” and the local “right”; he is not a political partisan; and he’s independent minded.

Moreover, Duane has helped bring the prestigious Amgen Tour of California to our county — three times. This signals a willingness to collaborate with the Bay Area and Southern California, where the Amgen race organizers are based.

If Duane decides to run, I hope he will stand up to the hard-right politicos who want to have more influence in local politics than is deserved. Many of them are self-serving partisans with special interest agendas.

I also am disgusted that some of them have developed an “anyone but Heidi” contingent.

Duane will have to stand up to all this if he is going to be an effective leader.

12 Responses to Will Duane Strawser run for District 1 Supevisor?

1. PeteK says:

Duane would have my vote!

Pete,
    What is about the far leftys that he has to stand up to?

Who are the Rebanes, Juvinalls and Bessees of the “left.” I’m all ears.

• PeteK says:

I’m not into naming names, no need. And the Bozos you mentioned of the old guard I don’t agree with either. I just want a candidate that runs true to center… I think Duane would be that guy. I think a majority of voters are moderates at heart. And I guess you’re right he won’t have to deal with Nevada City politics (as much) in a county supervisor position

• brucelevy says:

“I hope he stands up to the far leftys as well”…
        …”I’m not into naming names, no need.”

What a complete cop out. If you are going to make a statement like that either back it up or keep it to yourself. It’s vacuous and dishonest.

True to center is good, except when the special-interest PAC $$$ rolls in. I hope Duane and Heidi, for that matter, can stand up to that. It’s OK to say “no thanks.” That’s what I’m looking for. Cheers.

5. Diana Porter says:

Duane would have my vote!

Reminder to “would be” posters: Sign your real name to get published. Thanks!

7. John says:

Duane is a person of extremely high character. We are fortunate to have him serving in any capacity in Nevada County/City.