Time to focus on local elections

Christmas has passed, and the local elections are coming in our western County in 2014. Supervisor jobs and supposedly non-partisan ones that depend on specialized skill sets are up for grabs.

I smell another contentious year of elections, with unqualified albeit ideologically like-minded people jumping into the race to “save us”; a “secret slate” if you will. Nasty personal attacks will surface too.

Sadly, with a declining, aging population, we don’t have much “new blood” around here; just recirculating blood. Simply put, some of these candidates need a better-paying job, with Calpers benefits. And ironically, some of them preach the “anti-government” mantra.

We’ll be around to peel the onion off that skin (dealing with the angry birds along the way, as usual). But it’s up to all of us to “unmask” any masquerades we see and vote our conscience.

Candidates are not always what they seem (“I know not seems,” as Shakespeare put it).

Happy New Year!

About these ads

7 Responses to Time to focus on local elections

1. Ed Peritz says:

“Politics is all loco,” in addition to being local.

2. Ben Emery says:

The little time I have spent watching and following our local politic offices it basically comes down to economic philosophies. Supporting efforts to improve local economy through entities large enough to influence development of infrastructure improvements. Top Down vs Bottom Up development, is the simplified competing philosophies.

In such divisive political atmosphere I am actually impressed with a number of those who sit on western county city councils, I haven’t followed eastern county to closely. The councils are yo yo’s being pulled by very passionate forces in two very different directions. What I found traveling around the California Northeast talking with citizens and public reps from different small towns and rural counties is GV/ NC and Nevada County are doing a relatively decent job in a difficult situation.

It sounds like Fran Cole is very qualified and hard working candidate that is going to give Hank Weston a tough race. My wife is very much a supporter of hers and on the issues I find myself in many areas of agreement. As it has become apparent by those who read local blogs I am not so sure those who have traditional qualifications and put the time in organizing within the established structures are the ones that will come up with the solutions to the pressing issues we face today. I think more unconventional reps that do not have roots within bureaucracies whether they be public or private are going to bring the outside the box thinking that is long overdue.

This epidemic of corruption is found throughout the entire process. Not all entering into the public arena are corrupt. In fact I bet very few are corrupt and have no intentions to be anything but a representative of their constituents. If they use the established structures and strategies in place to get elected they have started themselves down a path where their loyalty shifts from people to political party and finally to the special interests of the political party. First of naivete’ and then it progresses to necessity and for the worst it becomes personal interests.

Like I said, “round and round and round we go …” Out of hibernation and no comment from Diaz’ office.

But wait, there’s more! LOL. (from the comments section)

Ben EmeryDecember 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    Barry,
    Patricia Smith addressed this the other day on the Cannabis Crusades. She said the mix up could have been just as easily her fault than somebody else. I have found the local elections office very helpful and professional. Any plans on running?

Barry PruettDecember 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    Diaz is bush-league. Even Patricia Smith who has no election law experience knows more about this area of law than our elected official. Diaz makes Nevada County look bad.

• Ed Peritz says:

I noticed the avoidance of responding to your question, Jeff, combined with a texturally negative tone; the seemingly universal bitterness coming from that brand of tea.

• Annie Fox says:

I believe Mr Diaz is doing a great job and I am proud to have voted for him. Those sour grapes make for very bitter wine.