Scoop: Pine Street Burgers (all-natural) to open in Grass Valley

From the blog of Sierra FoodWineArt magazine: Here’s an all-natural scoop: A restaurant featuring all-natural burgers and shakes — Pine Street Burgers — is going to open in Grass Valley in early- to mid-July.

We are confident it’s going to be a real winner too, judging from the success of its owners (South Pine Cafe) and a similar concept (Burger Me in Truckee and Reno and others).

Pine Street Burgers is going to be located at 1249 E. Main Street in Grass Valley, where Julie’s Hot Dog Heaven has been operating under the same ownership. (KNCO radio is in the same small shopping center, and there’s plenty of parking).

“All natural burgers, natural shakes, dairy-free shakes, french fries,” the just-launched Facebook of Pine Street Burgers page reads. At the URL PineStreetBurgers.com, it reads”PineStreetBurgers.com coming soon!”

A new logo also mentions “Casper Hot Dogs” and “Deli Sandwiches,” items that Julie’s Hot Dog Heaven now offers.

The owners are George and Suzie Dyer, who have run South Pine Cafe in Nevada City and Grass Valley, as well as Julie’s Hot Dog Heaven, for years. They were on the cover of our magazine in the winter of 2010.

As regular readers know, we are huge fans of Burger Me in Truckee and rate their all-natural burger one of the best. One of the founders of Burger Me is Mark Estee, a James Beard-award semifinalist who now runs the popular Campo restaurant in Reno.

George Dyer has always told me he’d like to open a natural burger joint in Grass Valley (along with the great burgers at South Pine Cafe), so I’m glad the Dyers are going forward.

As we wrote at the time: “George and Suzie’s motto has remained the same: ‘It’s like eating at home with my family.’”

We’ll pass on more details as we get them, but the Facebook page just went live (and we were invited to join).

About these ads

14 Responses to Scoop: Pine Street Burgers (all-natural) to open in Grass Valley

1. Sharon McKibbin says:

What does “all natural” mean? Free range? Organic? Or just… nothing, really, like most commercial “all natural” products.

2. Jeff pelline says:

Sharon,
    It’s free range and organic. We’re talking about the South Pine Cafe, not the Golden Arches. Though surprised, trust is a big issue in our county, sadly enough. So I appreciate your question.

• Sharon McKibbin says:

I’m merely pointing out that the word “natural” is meaningless in today’s food world, though it is certainly shorter to put in a restaurant’s name. Thank you for letting me know that their meat is free range and organic – I won’t eat any other meat, and I appreciate hearing about another local dining-out option.
      I have enjoyed the South Pine Cafe, but have no basis for “trust”, as I don’t know anything about the owners – do they serve only organic? They don’t say so on their menu, that I have noticed.
      And really, Jeff – there’s a wide spectrum of healthy eating values in the divide between South Pine and McDonald’s, surely?

3. Niel Locke says:

Trust in food should be everywhere and as we all know – that is not true ! There is only one dairy in Nevada County that has it’s milk is tested at a certified laboratory. That would be the only raw milk I would drink . Organic junk food is still junk food. Organic meat that has been processed is still processed food. Come on people = wake up and smell the roses. Read about what you eat ! I am so happy to have been raised in the ” 40’s” . Food was food and proper portions. I owe my good health of today set in a very sound, solid foundation.
    My rant !
    Congratulations George and Suzie ! Good health.

4. Ralph Cutter says:

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a natural hamburger joint featuring Casper’s hot dogs? Kind of like Peaceful Valley selling Paraquat.
    No complaints here though, I LOVE Caspers, but the message is a bit muddy. July is National Hot dog month, BTW.

• Sharon McKibbin says:

One might want to Google what’s in non-organic hot dog meat. I used to love them, until I read a few articles.

• Ralph Cutter says:

I’m sorry about your lost love. I’m pretty sure we could Google the fun right out life if we wanted to.
        The snap of biting through the skin of a Casper’s dog brings enough pleasure to offset whatever bad stuff may lurk there-in. If that isn’t so, at least I’ll die happy in my delusions.

I don’t always see “all-natural” or “organic” as an either/or proposition. It doesn’t have to be a “religion.” To me, local organic food also just tastes better (as does a Casper’s hot dog compared to “Ballpark Franks.”) It’s probably a good way to build a menu for customers with diverse tastes.

6. Sharon McKibbin says:

One thing that tends to bother me is when a restaurant says “we try to serve local/organic/whatever whenever possible”, thereby reserving the right to serve non-organic or Costco-bought food if that works better for them that day or in that dish. So one is put in the position of having to ask the waiter, who may or may not know, has to go ask the chef, usually makes one feel like a pain in the neck for asking… it’s just not a relaxing atmosphere when you never know what’s being served that day.
    When a restaurant writes “We serve only organic meat and produce” I feel that I can trust what they are serving all the time. It’s a real promise.

7. Jon Shilling says:

The GMO proposition that failed to pass the last election was as much about taking the ‘natural’ off food items wasn’t it? It is meaningless.. all about ‘marketing’. I would prefer that they lose the natural and give the source of their menu items and how they were raised. On ground beef and hot dogs/sausage list what cuts were ground. McDonalds could have sold their pink slime as natural..2nds anyone?

8. nelsonminar says:

Hey, great news, glad to see anyone investing in restaurants in the area. Is this going to alter the co-located sandwich shop as well? The place could use a bit of a face lift.

There’s some real burger competition down the road at the Big A, will be interesting to see how it all works out.

9. Brad Glasse says:

I worked for the Harris Feed lot when I was going to Junior College (living in the metropolis of Coalinga) and became very dismayed at the beef industry in this country as there was very little care give to these animals (other than feed, and water and plenty of antibiotics).

If McDonald’s want to change this industry they could do it in a heart beat. They purchase so much beef that if they said you will process all of your meats using methodology developed by Dr. Temple Grandin, then these changes would happen yesterday!

I am truly sad then we are supposed to be the highest intelligence creatures on this planet, but it amazes me we are unable to “get our $hit together” and do the right thing for our health or fellow creatures……

10. viktoria says:

omg!!! leave the negativity alone!! im looking forward to having lunch again and again at the new convienient location! good for you south pine with whatever you choose to serve!!