CITY OF GRASS VALLEY
SPECIAL CITY COUNCIL MEETING
FOR AB 1234 ETHICS COMPLIANCE TRAINING
5:30 P. M., TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2013
A. PRESENTATION – The Council will be participating in a required training program
1. AB 1234 ETHICS COMPLIANCE TRAINING
Michael G. Colantuono of
Colantuono & Levin, PC
Background is here:
•Since 2005, as required by AB 1234, public officials are required to attend ethics training. Public officials are required to complete the training within one year of taking office, and repeat the training every two years.
•What can local officials and their communities do to prevent a culture of self-interest over public interest from taking hold? What can they do to make sure abuses of authority do not occur in their communities?
The strategy includes:
Understanding public service ethics principles and laws;
Engaging the community in public agency decision-making; and
Supporting a strong community information structure.
•Responsibilities of office
Proper use and safeguarding of agency property and resources
Conflicts of interest
Gifts of public funds
Financial interest disclosures
Government transparency, including the Public Records Act
Due process requirements
Compensation and expense reimbursemen
•Here are some questions:
1) If a particular course of action is legal, then it is necessarily ethical. True or false.
2) A true leader is independent, and doesn’t concern him or herself with the public’s perception of his or her ethics. True or false.
3) It’s difficult to define what constitutes an ethical course of action because ethics are so subjective. True or false.
4) Ethics laws are generally a matter of common sense. True or false.
5) Being ethical means being willing to do the right thing even when there will be a personal cost. True or false.
1-F, 2-F, 3-F, 4-F, 5-T
Filed under: Uncategorized