Former Swift Communications staffers have launched an online news site called SouthTahoeNow.com that will compete head-to-head with the chain with some innovative features.
It is the “Now.com’s” group’s second website in the territory (and crosshairs) of Swift newspapers, which owns The Union, as well as newspapers in Lake Tahoe, Carson City and other locals. CarsonNow.com already exists. The expansion comes as the internet is revolutionizing communication.
“South Now is a local news website serving the South Lake Tahoe area,” it reads. “We are dedicated to the advancement of community journalism and educating local readers about current news and events.”
Its founding principles are:
• Community news belongs to the community.
• Everyone is a reporter, and everyone is an editor.
• The best local journalism comes from a mix of involved citizens reporting what they know and see, professional journalists helping make sense of it all, and sharp-eyed readers who question everything.
• People are always more important than institutions.
• Don’t compete. Collaborate, complement, cooperate.
• We will always strive to make it as easy as possible for everyone to add content, from cell phones, email, web browsers, etc.
• Everyone can participate, as long as they respect the rights of others to participate as well.
The founder of CarsonNow, and its new sister publication, SouthTahoeNow.com, is Kirk Caraway and the editor is Jeff Munson. Both are former Swift staffers.
Competition is coming to the Swift chain — and not just from Sierra Foothills Report.
Filed under: Uncategorized